The color of your roof can add value to your home and impact its energy efficiency either in a positive way or negatively, depending on your choice. Homeowners have a wide selection of roofing materials to choose from and each material offers a broad palette of colors to express your personal style. While the roofing material you decide on will most directly affect your home's energy efficiency, the color you select will also directly impact energy savings.
When you are considering a new roof for your home or office, there are several factors to consider. Your new or replacement roof will likely last for the next 50+ years, so to get the best return on your investment, it is important to factor in:
- local climate,
- curb appeal,
- and potential energy savings.
Why Hire a Professional Roofing Contractor?
An experienced roofing contractor in Utah can help you make money-saving choices, provide professional installation and help you stay on budget.
Vertex Roofing can recommend the most durable, energy efficient and beautiful roofing solutions to lend to your home's aesthetics, stand up to Utah's weather extremes and provide the best energy savings. With expertise spanning the past 20 years, our professional roofing contractors proudly offer the following guide to explain how the color of your roof can affect energy efficiency for big savings over the lifetime of your roof:
Choosing the Right Roof Color
Choosing the color of your new asphalt shingles, metal roof or composite shingles seems like the easiest decision you'll make when selecting materials for your new roof, but what you don't know can hurt you. Just keep in mind that, just like the color of clothing that you wear, the color of your roof will either absorb or reflect solar heat. But don't worry, you won't be limited to white or gray. There are many color options to choose from, including:
- Soothing Blues & Greens blend well with the summer sky mountainous horizons of Northern Utah. Blue is the color of the sky and will effortlessly lend to the aesthetics in high elevations. As the color of renewal and balance, green offers a sense of harmony with nature and sustainability.
- Warm Gold & Beige adds comfort and richness to every surrounding. With balancing tones, both gold and beige can lend a neutral personality to relax bold colors. Often seen as colors of quality, beige and gold can add a touch of luxury to any color scheme.
- Romantic Reds & Rustic Browns portray tones of the earth. While these colors are the least energy efficient, bold colors like red can make other, more neutral colors appear brighter and richer. A bright red or red tone is assertive, stylish and will most likely be thought of as a bold choice.
- Neutral Black & Gray are both calming and neutral colors that can be an easy transition between stark white and bold or colorful tones. While black is not a good choice for energy efficiency, gray will provide the perfect backdrop to calm other colors and contribute to your home's energy savings.
Affordable Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are the most affordable roofing solution with incredible durability and value. But, you need to be careful to choose the most energy efficient roofing color to help contribute to your home's overall energy efficiency. Always look for the US Department of Energy's Energy Star badge for your color selection. Dark, absorbing colors like dark brown or black generally don't carry an Energy Star rating.
Composite Slate Shingles for Blended Shades
Composite slate shingles offer the elegance of slate, with all the durability and energy efficiency of asphalt shingles. Choosing a synthetic slate roof also gives homeowners a virtually unlimited color palette with several natural, blended shades to choose from. Whether your home is modern, Victorian or contemporary, your trusted and certified roofing contractor will work with you to find the perfect shingle style and color blend to accent the architecture and aesthetics of your home or office with the classic look of slate.
Energy Efficient Metal Roofing
Metal roofing has the largest choice of colors to choose from and retain the best heat reflecting values of all available roofing materials. As one of the best choices from an energy efficiency standpoint, metal roofing from Vertex Roofing is treated with Cool Roof technology to further cut energy costs by reflecting infrared radiation from the sun. Metal roofing can reduce your home's cooling costs by up to 25% and is the preferred roofing material to easily install and house solar panels.
Get a Free Bid from Affordable, High-Quality Roofing Contractors in Utah
From earth tones to bold colors that make a statement, homeowners and businesses across the Wasatch Front and throughout the state of Utah rely on the professionally certified roofers at Vertex Roofing for a wide selection of roofing materials, styles, and colors or color blends to choose from.
So, let your colors fly! Contact Vertex Roofing Contractors to request a free new or replacement roofing estimate or give us a call at 801-639-0477. Our high-quality products, professional installation and years of experience will provide you with an affordable and enviable new roof.
Latest posts by vertexroofing (see all)
- 5 Tips for Choosing Energy Efficient Roofing - June 16, 2019
- 4 Reasons Why Gutters are Essential for Every Home - May 30, 2019
- The Homeowner’s Guide to Preparing for Winter - October 25, 2018