Have you ever heard of a rubber roof? There is a host of benefits to using this versatile material rather than more traditional materials. If you're in the market for a new roof, take a look at rubber roofing. The team at Vertex Roofing is ready and waiting to help any Utah homeowner or business owner make the transition to rubber roofing. If you've been wondering what roof material to cover your home or business with, take a moment to learn about rubber roofing.
What is Rubber Roofing?
Rubber roofing is a synthetic product made from oil and natural gas. Some industry professionals refer to it as EPDM, or ethylene propylene diene terpolymer. This synthetic material is waterproof, durable, and can be easily manipulated to fit different surfaces. You can find rubber roofing materials in both black and white. It can be applied several different ways, including sealing the edges, gluing the entire surface of the rubber sheets, and attaching it with nails or other mechanical means.
The rubber sheets or shingles, whichever you prefer, can be installed easier than asphalt shingles. If you get sheets of rubber, you can simply roll them onto the roof and affix them. As for rubber shingles, although they have to be installed individually and nailed in place like asphalt shingles. They are lighter, so they are easier to transport onto the roof.
Benefits of EPDM Rubber Roofing
Rubber roofing has a lot of advantages over traditional roofing materials. Consider the following when deciding on what type of roofing to purchase:
- Low Maintenance: In the long run, rubber roofs are easier to maintain than most other types of roofs. Rubber roofs have a low instance of cracking or leaking, and some manufacturers claim that if installed properly, they never will. Not to mention that you can easily repair any cracks that do form with rubber shingles or a small roll of rubber sheeting.
- Ease of Installation: As mentioned above, rubber roofing is lighter than asphalt shingles, meaning it's easier to transport to your house and up to the roof. Rubber sheets are far easier to install than asphalt shingles because all you have to do is roll them out and secure them.
- Durable Material: Rubber roofs are known to last a long time. A well-installed rubber sheet roof (meaning no shingles) can last up to 50 years before needing replacement.
- Versatile: Simply put, rubber roofing can fit in places that asphalt and metal roof materials can't. Rubber is especially helpful on low-pitch roofs, which tend to wear out quickly when covered with asphalt.
- Fireproof: Rubber roofing not only cannot be set on fire, but it can also prevent fires from spreading. A rubber roof can slow down home fires significantly, allowing firemen more time to get there and a better chance at saving the structure.
- Energy Efficient: Rubber roofing resists the UV rays of the sun yet also traps heat inside the home, meaning that it can lower your energy costs in both summer and winter.
Rubber Roofing Installation in Salt Lake City, Utah
If you decide to install a durable rubber roof in the Salt Lake City area, contact the professionals at Vertex Roofing. We can not only install or repair a rubber roof, but we also offer assistance with roof inspections and offer free estimates for any type of roof. We also offer a full 50-year quality guarantee on all work we do and multiple roofing warranties. Call us at 801-447-5412 or contact us online to get a roofing professional at your home today.