When planning some do-it-yourself maintenance and repair on your roof, safety should be of utmost importance. The heights associated with working on your roof can present many challenges, especially to non-professionals. Therefore, it is important to take note of some vital safety guidelines outlined below before embarking on the project. Accidents do happen, so why push your luck instead of taking precautions?
If your repair proves to be greater than you had imagined, Vertex Roofing is here to help. As professional maintenance and repair contractors, we are your residential and commercial roofing expert in Salt Lake City Utah.
Roofing Safety Suggestions
- Always use a safety harness when working on the roof. A safety harness is important in any roofing do-it yourself project. It can save you from a harmful or potentially fatal fall if you accidentally slip or step on a loose surface.
- Avoid working on the roof when it is wet or when the weather is windy. A wet roof is not the best surface to be working on. Dangerous slippages can occur and lead to falls. Working when its windy is also advised against as a sudden gust of wind can affect your balance.
- Use the correct ladder, and place it in the right way. A proper ladder, used correctly, is important when undertaking any roofing repairs or maintenance. Always make sure that you are using a stable and strong ladder. Place it on a level surface, and ensure that the base is well supported to prevent it from slipping at the surface.
- Do not work on the roof alone. You should have someone else working with you on the roof so that if an accident happens, they can be able to offer or get you help.
- Wear appropriate clothing and accessories. Wear sturdy shoes or boots with good treads to increase traction and prevent slippage on the roof. Avoid overly baggy or tight clothing, as either one can impede your movement. It’s also suggested that you wear safety goggles any time power tools are involved.
- Keep your working area clean. Objects such as wet leaves, debris, and even tools can be hazardous if placed incorrectly in your work site. They can potentially become tripping hazards, so ensure you clean and safely arrange your workspace.
Basic DIY Roofing Repair & Maintenance
- Remove Loose Debris: You can easily remove any leaves, branches, rocks or other debris that could have accumulated on your roof especially during winter.
- General Inspection & Repair: If there are any stained parts on your ceiling, this could be an indication of water seeping through the roof. Therefore, examine the roof for loose, missing or lifted shingles. Also check for missing or loose flashing, metal roof bolts and nails. Tighten areas that are loose and replace those that are worn out.
- Moss & Mold Removal: if the roof has some moss and mold, gently spray the affected areas with a moss remover and wait for the cleaner to do its work. You can then gently brush off the moss and mold with a brush that has soft bristles.
- Clean Chimney, Vents & Skylights: Close the fireplace and then clean the accumulated oils called creosote from the chimney with a brush. Inspect if there is any damage on the chimney such as cracked bricks or mortar. Then clean and repair the vent outlets and skylights if applicable.
Roofing Professionals in Utah
If you should encounter problems that are too big or complicated for you to handle by yourself, contact Vertex Roofing for reliable, timely and professional services. With over 20+ years of experience and trained, certified staff, you are guaranteed the highest level of workmanship. Our services include; commercial and residential roofing, repair and maintenance, roof replacements and roofing inspection and more. We also offer a full warranty coverage to all our customers.