There are several winter roofing problems that can arise, including condensation, ice dams, broken shingles, icicles, wind, tree limbs, and old shingles just to name a few. In order to avoid winter roofing woes it is highly recommended to have your roof inspected by a professional. Vertex Roofing located in Salt Lake City, Utah, happens to have the best roofers who offer excellent customer service, professional installation, and complimentary roof inspections.
Common Winter Problems for Your Roof
- Tree Branches: If tree limbs are hanging over the house and it is windy, tree limbs can scratch and damage the roof shingles. Also, tree limbs that are covered in heavy snow could break, landing and damaging your roof.
- Icicles: Gutters that have not been well maintained will have a lot of leaves and dirt built up thus clogging the gutters. Icicles form when it is sunny and the temperatures are at sub-freezing levels. With their additional weight, icicles can cause roofing and gutter damage.
- Wind: Winter winds are harsh and your roof is taking a beating. Wind can loosen asphalt shingles, and can even rip shingles right off the roof. If you see any loose or missing roof shingles, contact a professional immediately.
- Ice Dams: Ice dams are created when the bottom layer of snow on your roof begins to melt due to the heat of the house, with the exception of the eaves (the extension/corner of your house), because they does not receive any heat. When this occurs the water is frozen and can not flow off the roof, instead the water will go under the shingles and freeze. Ice dams can damage shingles and your ceiling.
- Condensation: When warm air mixes with a cold surface condensation will occur. Condensation can cause mold and mildew, which most often occurs in the attic without proper ventilation.
- Brittle/Old Shingles: Brittle/Old Shingles do not provide adequate protection from winter weather. The damage that can be caused from brittle/old shingles includes leaking water through your ceiling, causing mildew, mold, and a weak roof.
Preventative Winter Roof Care
- Cut/Trim all tree branches at least 6 feet from the house and maintain that distance year-round.
- Keep gutters and spouts clean and clear of debris year-round.
- A well-ventilated attic will protect your home from condensation.
- Call a professional for any major issues, especially in the winter, since snowy conditions can cause additional damage, and repair can be dangerous without the proper training and equipment.
Let Vertex Handle Your Winter Roofing Woes
The above listed are not the only winter roofing woe's that you may encounter. You love your home and maintaining the health of your roof is priority. The best way to maintain a healthy roof is to have a professional partner with you. We at Vertex Roofing, the best roofing company in the Salt Lake City, Utah and surrounding area, are the roofers who will partner with you. We will listen to your needs, provide education, and exceed your expectations. We offer roof repairs, roof replacements and complimentary roof inspections for both commercial and residential customers. Contact us here, or call 801-939-2398 to schedule an inspection or repair today.
- COVID-19 Update Vertex Remains Open - March 20, 2020
- 3 Tips to Choose the Perfect Shingle Color for Your Roof - March 14, 2020
- Ice Dam Prevention Can Save You Thousands in Home Repair Costs - January 6, 2020