What is a home without a solid roof? Roofs are a critical component of houses as they keep us dry, secure, and comfortable. Unfortunately, even the strongest built roof is susceptible to things like water and pest damages which can cause serious roof problems in Utah. The following are some of the common roof problems and ways to detect them before they get worse!
Top Roofing Issues That Require a Professional
- Pooling water. Homes were built with slopes for a reason! Pooling and standing water leads to all kinds of issues that include mold growth and pressure leading to leaks. So one great way for how to spot roof problems and stop them from growing is to have any areas that have pooling or standing water for more than 24 hours looking at.
- Clogged gutters or downspouts. One common reason why you might have standing water on your roof is that there is a clog in your gutter or downspout that is preventing water from running off and away from your home. After a big rainfall, it is a good idea to take a walk around your house and examine all of your downspurts. Check to see if the water is properly draining down and away from your home. If it isn't, then chances are there is some sort of debris clogging up the gutters and potentially leading to more serious roofing issues.
- Damaged shingles. Even Florida is prone to hailstorms that can damage shingles and other roofing materials. Shingles can also become warped and damage over time due to high winds and constant exposure to the elements. It's a good idea to have shingles inspected at least once a year for any damages -- and always after a hailstorm.
- Animal damages. Birds, small mammals, and insects like wasps can all wreak havoc on your roof and can squeeze into the smallest of spaces to wreak more havoc on your attic, insulation, and other materials. Any visible signs of animals, such as wasp nests, gathered food, or waste, often indicates that you have a serious underlying infestation that needs remedying.
- Overhanging branches. Sure, trees are gorgeous but for the safety of your home, you should avoid allowing any branches and limbs to jut out over your roof. Limbs and branches that drape onto your roof can scratch and rub against shingles to prematurely wear them down while all branches overhanging your home may break off and damage the roof during a storm. Furthermore, trees also naturally shed leaves and those leaves seem to always find their ways into the gutters and downspurts, causing those blockages we mentioned earlier. So keep things simple and have your trees trimmed back as far as possible from your roof.
Don't Let Roofing Issues Get Worse: Contact the Professionals at Vertex Roofing Contractors
Now that you know how to spot roof problems and those warning signs that indicate you either have an issue or are soon to have one, the next step is to have our team take a look and resolve those issues. Contact us today at Vertex Roofing Contractors to learn more and to set up an appointment.
Latest posts by vertexroofing (see all)
- 5 Alarming Reasons Why DIY Roof Repair is Never a Good Idea - October 28, 2019
- 5 Ways Your Energy Inefficient Home is Draining Your Wallet - October 6, 2019
- The Most Common Roof Problems - October 6, 2019