Regular gutter cleaning in an important aspect of home maintenance that can prevent damage to your roof, walls, foundation and beyond. Depending on your location and proximity to falling leaves and other debris, you may need to clean your gutters several times each year. Homeowners who have installed gutter guards will have less frequent gutter maintenance requirements, but small objects can still pass through the guards and warrant occasional cleaning.
Learning how to safely and properly clean your gutters can make a huge difference in the long-term care of your home, but if you are not comfortable climbing a ladder or would just appreciate a little extra help around your house, the professionals at Vertex Roofing are ready to answer your call.
Gutter Cleaning Do’s
- Start with a study ladder on solid footing. Inspect your ladder to ensure that all steps are solid, and make sure that the legs are resting on firm, flat ground every time you reposition them. Use plywood as a base if the ground is soggy.
- Clean your gutters no less than once per year. If you frequently notice many leaves on your roof, you may have to clean your gutters as often as three times per year.
- Remove gutter debris by hand and/or with a small broom. With gloved hands, carefully and completely remove any leaves, stones, sticks, etc. A handheld broom may also be helpful after the larger pieces are removed. If needed, remove gutter guards before cleaning beneath them.
- Keep your eyes open for sections of gutter in need of repair. Gutters that are sagging or hanging may be easily fixable before they develop into a larger problem that can cost you thousands of dollars in damage.
- Make sure your gutters are clean before winter's chill sets in. Waiting until you have ice in your gutters is not a good time to clean out debris; leaves also tend to allow ice to build up in the gutters, making damage to your home much more likely.
Gutter Cleaning Don’ts
- Don't create a habitat for pests. Clogged gutters are the perfect environment for harboring mosquitos and other insects, rodents, mold and more.
- Don't put off gutter cleaning for another season. Gutters are there to protect your home from water damage, but when regular maintenance is ignored, they can no longer serve their intended purpose.
- Don't trust gutter guards to do all the work for you. Installing gutter guards will undoubtedly reduce the frequency of required cleaning sessions, but nothing can keep smaller particles like flowers and pine needles from accumulating inside.
- Don't lean your ladder against the gutters themselves. The extra weight can result in gutter damage.
- Don't forget to check all the connections within your gutter system. Downspouts, leader pipes, fasteners and more should all be properly connected and provide free movement of water to adequately protect your home.
- Don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with. If you feel unsafe climbing a ladder, call a professional to help you complete your gutter cleaning job.
Professional Roofing and Gutter Services in the Salt Lake City Area
Residents of the Salt Lake City Area who are looking for a little extra help around their home may appreciate the professional services offered through Vertex Roofing. We provide free bids on our services and the expert eyes of our technicians are well practiced in spotting problem while they are small and easily repaired. By scheduling a bi-annual roofing inspection, you'll have peace of mind knowing you are taking proactive steps to keep your roof in excellent condition for many years to come. Give us a call today at (801) 639-0477 or fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from a member of our team.
Latest posts by vertexroofing (see all)
- 4 Holiday Roof Safety Tips for Decorating This Season - November 26, 2019
- How to Hang Various Types of Christmas Lights on a Shingle Roof - November 19, 2019
- 5 Alarming Reasons Why DIY Roof Repair is Never a Good Idea - October 28, 2019