With the extreme weather cycles Utahns experience in a single calendar year - your asphalt roof is put to the test. From spring storms, scorching heat and harsh winter weather with hefty snow accumulation; the asphalt shingles protecting your home need a little TLC to prevent premature deterioration. Regular roof maintenance to remove debris and organic growth like algae, mold or moss will maximize the performance and service life of your asphalt shingle roof.
What You Need to Know About Asphalt Roof Shingles
Before you climb the ladder, there are a few things you need to know about the Dos and DON'Ts of asphalt shingles - so you don't end up causing more harm than good. As the most widely used roofing material in the US, asphalt shingles offer a cost-efficient way to protect our homes from weather conditions. Because your home’s roof is such a large investment, you need to understand that although asphalt shingles are a durable, long-lasting roofing material, you must take extra care to preserve the shingles integrity to keep you and your home safe - come rain or shine.
Only trust a carefully-trained, skilled roofing professional with the maintenance and care of your asphalt roof to ensure quality results. The certified pros with Vertex Roofing Contractors in Utah take pride in every job - big or small. For dependable, quality results time and time again. Give us a call at 801-639-0477 or contact us online for a free quote.
The DOs for Cleaning and Maintaining Your Asphalt Shingles
DO Trim Overhanging Tree Limbs around your home's roof to prevent costly damage, especially during Northern Utah's famous wind-driven storms and heavy snow or ice accumulation. By trimming back or removing limbs, you are also letting direct sunshine reach the shingles, which will help dry the roof out after a storm and prevent the growth of harmful organisms.
- DO Remove Debris from your gutters to help prevent a blockage that can easily lead to avoidable roof repairs or expensive foundation damage. To remove debris from shingles, the experts at Vertex Roofing Contractors in Salt Lake City recommend using an air blower, soft broom or brush. Take extra care on the ladder and make sure that you do not apply too much pressure if you're using a broom or brush and try to avoid excessive walking on your roof to avoid breaking or tearing the shingles.
- DO Hire a Trusted Professional to take care of all of your asphalt roof issues. A local licensed, bonded and insured roofing contractor will save you from having to get on the roof. Not only will your roofing contractor quickly and efficiently inspect and perform the necessary cleaning and treatments to extend the service life of your roof, they are pros at minimizing the amount of walking on the roof and know how to step to avoid damaging delicate shingles.
The DON'Ts for Your Asphalt Shingle Roof
- DON'T Use a Pressure Washer to clean your asphalt shingles. While a pressure washer is ideal for cleaning other things around your home like siding, brick and walkways - the extreme, pressurized water stream can loosen or tear asphalt shingles and dislodge the protective granules. This type of damage can cause leaks and the resulting water damage can cost thousands of dollars to repair.
- DON'T Use Harsh Chemicals or take risks with a DIY cleaning solution recipe from the internet. There are many eco-friendly asphalt cleaning products on the market to target specific problems like stains, algae, mold or moss growth. Preventative maintenance along with the necessary cleaning treatment by a professional roofing contractor will ensure the most effective methods are used and take precautions to prevent harm to the surrounding trees, plants and wildlife.
- DON'T Take Unnecessary Risks! For most of us, the thought of performing roof maintenance, beyond stepping onto the ladder, is terrifying. Physical limitations, poor weather conditions or the fear of heights are all very good reasons to call a professional roofing contractor to help you take care of your asphalt roof without putting yourself in danger.
Find a Trusted Roofing Contractor in Utah - Contact Vertex Roofing Today
For trusted roof services, including cleaning and maintenance in Utah, contact Vertex Roofing. We are here to answer any questions about the DOs and DON'Ts of caring for and maintaining your asphalt roof. For over 20 years Vertex Roofing has proudly provided Utah residents with a wide variety of roofing services including maintenance, cleaning, inspections, repairs and full-roof replacements. Give us a call today at (801) 447-9298 to receive your free estimate with our incredible 24-hour quick quote service.
Latest posts by vertexroofing (see all)
- 5 Alarming Reasons Why DIY Roof Repair is Never a Good Idea - October 28, 2019
- 5 Ways Your Energy Inefficient Home is Draining Your Wallet - October 6, 2019
- The Most Common Roof Problems - October 6, 2019