What is Wood Roofing?
Wood is a traditional roofing material that usually takes the form of shingles or shakes. If correctly installed correctly and properly maintained, wood shingles and shakes can last from 30 to 50 years. Vertex Roofing has been installing shingles and shakes on Utah homes and businesses for over 15 years. We would love to help you with your project.
What are Shingles and Shakes?
Shingles and shakes are usually made of cedar, spruce, or treated pine. Both shakes and shingles are long pieces of wood, about 16” long and several inches wide, installed on a building’s walls and roof to protect the building from the weather. The shakes and shingles are tapered, with a thick edge at the bottom and a thin edge at the top.
The main difference between shakes and shingles is the way they are manufactured. Shakes were traditionally made from logs cut into 16” lengths, hand-split lengthwise with the grain, sawn or shaped into tapers, and then lightly planed by hand. This handmade approach produced a product that was variable in appearance with a wider range of widths and tapers. Today, many of these steps are mechanized, but shakes are still split to produce a natural break along the outward facing surface. Shingles, in contrast, are machine-cut on all six sides, resulting in less variation. When installed, wood shingles produce a trim, crisp appearance that generally looks flat and regular on roofs and siding. By contrast, wood shakes look more rustic, with greater texture variation.
Benefits of Wood Shingles
· Durability. Wood is stable, retaining its shape under conditions hot or cold, wet or dry. Wood shakes and shingles naturally last a long time, particularly when properly installed, treated, and maintained.
· Storm resistance. Because of the way they are shaped and installed, shakes and shingles are resistant to wind and rain damage. Because each course of shakes or shingles covers and secures the course below it, the wind cannot easily blow them off. Rain rolls from one course to the next until it rolls off the roof. When properly installed and maintained, shakes and shingles provide long-lasting weather protection.
· Energy efficiency. Wood is a natural insulator, and wood roofing does not require the extra underlying layers of insulation required by some other roofing materials.
· Aesthetic appeal. Wood shakes and shingles produce a warm, natural look that recalls our traditional sense of hearth and home. Its classic beauty is always in style.
· Flexible patterns. Because shingles come in a variety of colors with a choice of edging, you can create distinctive and attractive shingle patterns by altering the size, shape, and application method.
Wood Shingle Roof Maintenance
Wood roofing requires maintenance to gain maximum lifespan. Shakes and shingles need to be treated periodically with fungicides and preservatives to protect them from mildew and fungus and keep them from drying, warping, and cracking in the sun.
Wood Shingles vs. Other Materials
Wood roofs have some disadvantages. They need maintenance to protect them from mold, fungus, and sun. They are also vulnerable to fire. In some instances, wood shakes or shingles may only last 20 years, particularly if they are not well maintained. As a result, some homeowners choose a different path.
Synthetic shingles resemble wood but require less maintenance, last longer, resist fire, and are less vulnerable to mold and mildew. Some modern shingles are even made of recycled tires. But shingles are also made from slate, asphalt, flagstone, metal or plastic. Check out a list of all the roofing shingles we install here at Vertex Roofing.
Still Have Questions About What Roofing Material to Choose? Vertex Roofing Can Help
Choosing the right roof for your home or business can be challenging because there are many factors to consider. Our professional roofers at Vertex Roofing would love to answer any questions you have and help you find your ideal roof.
Our experienced roofing contractors at Vertex Roofing have been helping homeowners and business replace, repair, and maintain their roofs throughout Salt Lake City for over 15 years. Contact Vertex Roofing today about your next roofing project, and we will be happy to give you a free bid. Our affordable services can be financed at zero percent for up to 60 months. Call Vertex Roofing today at 801-939-2398.