It is common to find damage to your roof after extreme weather conditions in Utah like a heavy rainstorm, high winds, and even snow accumulation. What you may not know is that pests can also cause costly roof damage. Nesting and burrowing from birds, bats, rodents, and termites can wreak havoc on the integrity of your roof, putting you and your family at risk for pricey roof repairs and even serious illness.
If you suspect roof damage from pesky little critters, do not hesitate to contact a trusted certified roofing contractor to perform a full inspection of your roof, let you know the extent of the destruction and restore your roof to prevent further damage.
What Kind of Pests Can Damage My Roof?
To protect the lifespan of your roof and prevent further damage, be sure to call a trained and certified professional roofer in Utah at the first sign of an infestation from any of the following vermin that are known to vandalize both residential and commercial roofing systems here in the Beehive State:
- Birds - Utah is home to hundreds of bird species, and aside from potential damage to your roofing system from nests blocking gutters or causing a fire when built in chimneys or ventilation systems - bird droppings can cause serious damage to shingles. Highly acidic bird droppings can break down shingles and roof sheathing over time. This type of damage will leave your roof at risk for leaks that may result in serious structural water damage. The professionals at Vertex Roofing suggest a bi-annual roof inspection to make sure your roof is in good repair and not exposed to the destruction caused by nesting birds.
- Bats - Eighteen different species of bats can be found throughout the state of Utah and have been known to roost in structural voids, chimneys, attics and the eaves of your roof. They have the amazing ability to squeeze into very small spaces (as small as 3/8") to make your home their home! While single nesting bats may not cause damage to your roof, a colony can pose a serious risk to your roof and pose the following health risks to you and your family:
- Histoplasmosis - Bat feces, or guano, is a carrier of a microscopic fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum that when airborne can cause a life-threatening lung infection called histoplasmosis.
- Rabies - While bat droppings pose the biggest threat to your family’s health, rabies is another serious disease that can be transmitted to humans through a bite from an infected bat.
Because Utah law protects all species of bats, property owners are encouraged to follow conflict prevention and call local animal control to have the bat(s) safely removed.
- Rodents - Mice, rats, and squirrels can squeeze through very small openings and become a big problem causing gradual damage to your roof, electrical wiring and yard. Because rodents have the potential to cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage, do not hesitate to use remediation or call a professional to halt further damage to your home if you suspect an infestation. Common roof-damaging rodents found in Utah:
- Rats - While rats are not synonymous with the Wasatch Front; Southern Utah residents and business owners are aware of potential rat infestations due to the mild temperatures in the South. Across the state, rats seem to come in cycles and are attracted to your home and yard by bird feeders and pet food bowls. Known for burrowing through the roof of homes and businesses, rats can cause serious damage by gnawing on your shingles and lead sheathing. They also pose a threat by chewing through electrical wires which can cause a fire.
- Mice - Mice can also gain access to your home through small spaces or gnaw their way through roofing and walls. These holes can leave your home susceptible to moisture damage and loss of energy efficiency. Like rats, mice can also chew through electrical wiring posing a fire hazard. Mouse droppings can also pose a serious health risk to you and your family from the deadly hantavirus.
- Squirrels - Squirrels are destructive! A member of the rodent family, squirrels will gnaw on shingles and lead sheathing. Once they gain access to your home, they will usually move right in and make themselves at home. Squirrel urine, aside from the pungent smell, can also cause roof and ceiling deterioration.
- Termites - Termites love to eat wood; wood in your roof decking, wood beams, trusses, and rafters. When left unchecked, termites can cause major damage costing property owners big money for remediation and repairs. A bi-annual roof inspection will help keep your home protected with early detection. As Utah's premier roofing professionals, Vertex Roofing Contractors have been providing residents and business owners in Salt Lake City, West Jordan, South Jordan, Taylorsville, Sandy, Millcreek, Cottonwood Heights, West Valley City and Midvale with roof inspections, maintenance, repair and new roof installation for over 20 years.
Roof Inspection and Repair in Utah
If you suspect a rodent may be causing damage to your roof, call Vertex Roofing Contractors at 801-438-6722 to request a free estimate or CLICK HERE for our 24-hour quick quote service. Our team of reliable experts will ensure your roof is in good repair to protect your home and your family. We proudly serve all property owners throughout the Beehive State.